The Gryphons football squad was an underdog in Canadian university competition in 1984. But after winning the coveted Vanier Cup as the best varsity team in the country, the Red and Gold were thought of as a team of destiny. “We worked so hard that we couldn’t lose, even though we weren’t supposed to win,”
U of G’s South Residence was considered state-of-the-art when it opened in 1968; it remains one of the largest student residence complexes in Canada. The complex is among campus buildings highlighted in “Brutalism at Guelph: Concrete in a new light,” an ongoing exhibit in the McLaughlin Library about U of G’s late-sixties building boom that
During a turbulent time globally, the Massey Hall Coffee House offered good coffee and good company.
Students write final exams in the main gym at the W.F. Mitchell Athletics Centre. Since the original gym opened in 1957, thousands of students have sat at long tables to write exams. In 2016, a new state-of-the-art athletics centre opened. Among its features are a student lounge, a climbing wall and an updated gym, which
The University of Guelph’s campus pub, originally called The Keg, was established in 1974 and later became The Brass Taps. Operating from the second floor of the University Centre for 42 years, the pub holds many fond memories for alumni, from indulging in a Design-a-Wich (design-your-own sandwich) and delicious poutine and nachos supreme, to watching
Students participate in a chemistry lab in what was then known as the College of Physical Science. Four years later, it was renamed the College of Physical and Engineering Science, which still stands today. Can you identify any of the people in this photo? Send us a note and let us know! ON CAMPUS Students
Inside the dining area of Creelman Hall before a $4.4-million facelift in 2013 to renovate the building’s dining and kitchen facilities, as well as exterior improvements such as new windows. Built in 1914, Creelman Hall’s marché-style dining concept was the first of its kind at a North American university. ON CAMPUS The women’s basketball team
Beginning in 1904 as a “meeting for conversation,” Conversat was a key social event for faculty, staff, students and friends of the university’s founding colleges. The tradition was carried into the 1980s, and was revived in 2014 in celebration of the University of Guelph’s 50th anniversary. A large tent on Johnston Green hosted a reception