Call it a hat trick for these Mac ’64 and OAC ’64 students. Their grad year marked not just the establishment of the University of Guelph but also a College Royal win for their combined square dance team for the second year running.
Writes team member Graeme Hedley: “We had a great time, and it is always fun to win. After each win, we got to travel to Wingham to appear on CKNX TV.”
- The provincial University of Guelph Act established the new institution.
- Wellington College was created to offer degree programs in the arts and sciences.
- Dr. John MacLachlan, a professor of botany, became U of G’s first president.
- Dr. Hugh Branion, first head of the Department of Animal Nutrition, was named dean of U of G graduate studies.
- The 18th Summer Olympics were held in Tokyo.
- The U.S. Civil Rights Act was signed into law.
- The Beatles played on the Ed Sullivan show as part of their North American tour.
- American pilot Geraldine (“Jerrie”) Mock became the first woman to fly solo around the world.
- Cassius Clay (later Muhammad Ali) defeated Sonny Liston for the world heavyweight boxing championship.