Students write final exams in the main gym at the W.F. Mitchell Athletics Centre. Since the original gym opened in 1957, thousands of students have sat at long tables to write exams. In 2016, a new state-of-the-art athletics centre opened. Among its features are a student lounge, a climbing wall and an updated gym, which is still called into use as an exam location. Can you identify any of the people in this photo? Send us a note and let us know!
- The women’s basketball team wins its first provincial championship title in 25 years.
- Veterinarians Without Borders (VWB) is established at the Ontario Veterinary College, becoming the first VWB group in North America.
- The new University of Guelph-Humber building receives a 2005 Award of Excellence for innovation in architecture from the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.
- U of G launches a coffee-table book featuring campus photos and reflective quotes, with a foreword by astronaut and graduate Roberta Bondar.+
- Hurricane Katrina, one of the five deadliest hurricanes in U.S. history, hits the Gulf coast, causing destruction from Florida to Texas.
- Three PayPal employees create video-sharing website YouTube.
- George W. Bush begins his second term as president of the United States.
- Charles, Prince of Wales, marries Camilla Parker Bowles.