Inside the dining area of Creelman Hall before a $4.4-million facelift in 2013 to renovate the building’s dining and kitchen facilities, as well as exterior improvements such as new windows. Built in 1914, Creelman Hall’s marché-style dining concept was the first of its kind at a North American university.
- The women’s basketball team captured its first provincial title in 25 years by defeating the defending champions, the Ottawa Gee-Gees.
- Phase 2 construction of the Summerlee Science Complex is underway.
- Students set a national record by donating $22,000 from their meal plans to buy food for local charities through the Meal Exchange program.
- The Macdonald Stewart Art Centre (now the Art Gallery of Guelph) celebrates its 25th anniversary.
- Condoleezza Rice is sworn in as U.S. Secretary of State, becoming the first African American woman to hold the post.
- Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly an airplane around the world solo without any stops or refueling.
- Canada introduces the Civil Marriage Act, making Canada the fourth country to sanction same-sex marriage.
- Hurricane Katrina strikes the Gulf Coast causing more than $100 billion in damage.
Do you have a memory to share from your time at U of G? Email a high-resolution photo to email@example.com and it could appear in Time Capsule.